Re:RE: RE: EXTPROC

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:43:36 -0800

Ian,

    Interesting note on library priviledged if you have not noticed. With all objects you can grant the create or create any privileges, but with libraries it's create any only. Kinda dumb I think. One other thing, if your going to use extproc's and for one reason or other can't set the extproc_listener up in a non-priviledged account make sure that protocol does not equal TCP. At least with IPC the connection has to come from inside the server.

Dick Goulet

Author: "MacGregor; Ian A." <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date:       8/20/2002 2:13 PM

A few additions. The extproc_listener should be initiated by a non-privileged account; for instance, the nobody account in UNIX.

If you are using Intermedia, then be sure that you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to include the proper library directory, or you won't be able to the inso_filter. I have heard that later
versions of Intermedia do not require external procedures, but I cannot vouch for that nor do I know when the change may have taken place.

Do not give create library privileges to anyone.

Ian macGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date:       8/20/2002 7:18 AM

John - If you decide to use this feature, be sure to read the security vulnerabilities carefully.
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/m-047.shtml

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 17:43:36 CDT