Re: Oracle OPS and IBM VSD

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:03:36 -0800

VSD is only a clustered representation of LV (logical volume) within IBM's LVM (logical volume manager). The reason you can't get answers from IBM is because they wrote VSDs and HSDs specifically for Oracle and OPS only, so it is not "mainstream" AIX; they really aren't familiar with it. Oracle Support has a team of folks (or used to? don't know anymore) called "MPP Support" who specialize on OPS/RAC and tend to know IBM HACMP and SP issues far better than IBM...

Yes, you can reuse the space within a VSD same as you reuse the space within an LV. From the Oracle perspective, just treat VSDs like LVs (a.k.a. "raw" devices)...

  Once you allocate a tablespace within a VSD (Virtual Shared Disk) file system, can you ever drop the tablespace and re-use that space for something else? (ex: chaining is a huge issue at this site, and there is not enough rollback space to analyze some of the table for chained rows... could I create a temporary tablespace with a large rollback segment to analyze the table for chained rows, and fix the table?)

  I heard, third hand, that this was not possible... I'm just looking for confirmation that this is true... or false.

  Oracle 8.1.7 OPS.
  AIX 4.3.3
  VSD Filesystem

  (I tried IBM, but they just pointed fingers.)

  Thanks!!
  Nick

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 09:03:36 CDT