RE: Hot Backup using EMC /BCV splits

From: John Weatherman <john.weatherman_at_replacements.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:13:43 -0800

Nate,

We are doing this as well on Solaris w/ Veritas. Our series is:

  1. Put everything in hot backup mode
  2. Split all volumes EXCEPT archive
  3. Take everything out of hot backup mode
  4. Log switch
  5. Split Archive

We use this for cloning on a nightly basis and haven't had any issues. However, when we didn't wait on splitting off the offline archives I ran into some problems with everything being where it should be for recovery (read I was missing the last redo log). The problem with "EMC does it all" is that the datafiles themselves may be inconsistant at the split, hot backup mode forces consistancy by freezing the scn's (somebody correct me if I'm way off, but that's my understanding).

Try asking this, why are we bothering with Hot Backup mode at all? After all, the datafile "copies" aren't being made during hot backup mode, so it's a non-event from Oracle's perspective (and don't let him get away with just dropping hot altogether!).

HtH,

John P Weatherman
Database Administrator
Replacements Ltd.

Author: Nat
  INET: nat2710_at_hotmail.com

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 11:13:43 CDT