Re: Amount of redo

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:43:33 -0800

yechiel,

I didn't miss the comment, it's not relevant. Archived logs are merely copies of redo logs that have been filled. Whether or not archiving is turned on, redo logs get filled and reused. Oracle tracks the log switches no matter what mode you are in, it just doesn't make the copy of the redo log if you aren't in archive log mode.

So he can definitely track log switches in the alert log or in v$log_history. Given the number of switches in a week (this is approximately the number of archived logs that will be created), he can multiply that by the size of his largest redo log (hopefully they are all the same size but take the largest one if they are not). That will give him the maximum amount of space his archived logs will take in a normal week, barring any unusual load activity.

Now.... archived logs generally are NOT the full size of the redo logs so this will overestimate. But it's better to have too much space than too little

Rachel
--- Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I do not think that you can estimate the amount of disk space
> required for
> archive log without turning archive log on and checking each day to
> see how
> much space you already used.
>
> To all who replied: I think that you missed his comment that
> currently he is
> NOT working with archive log on.
>
> Yechiel Adar
> Mehish