RE: DB Link Error - More Info

From: <>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:28:23 -0800

This is a bug in sqlplus. You are using two different releases Oracle, and when you are using the 8i version of sqlplus and trying to describe a table on a lower version of Oracle through a dblink, you will get this error.

The work around is: Don't do that. Seriously. It's not fixed, nor will it
be fixed. You can find details on MetaLink.

Kevin Lange <>
Sent by:
08/08/2002 04:04 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <>
        Subject:        RE: DB Link Error - More Info

Sorry for the lack of info. Her it all is:

  1. I have tns entries on both database machines that point to each other.
  2. I have global_names set to false on both machines.
  3. I have the same ID defined with the same password on both machines.
  4. We do not use Oracle Names.

On machine A:
  I created a link :
    create database link b using '';

On machine B:
  I created a link :
    create database link a using '';

Here are the results:

  1. I can select data back and fourth between both machines wit no errors.
  2. When I try to describe a table accross the link I get the ORA-0219 error.
  3. When I try to use the plsql copy command (ultimately what I want to do) , on machine B, I get an error stating that I am trying to Fetch out of sequence. On machine A I get an unknow error that can not be interpreted .... a long string of numbers as the error number.

So, thats it. Currently I am resorting to small selects accross the working part of the links. But, eventually I need to get to the copy commands because they have the commits in them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.