Re: Upgrading from 8.1.6.0 to 8.1.7.3 your option wanted!

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 06:53:26 -0800

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:18:26PM -0800, Kathy Duret wrote:
> I am debating whether to upgrade from 8.1.6.0 to 8.1.7.3 or do a fresh install on 8.1.7.3 and
> export my data from the 8.1.6.0 instance and import into the new instance.

Clean installs are nice.

We minimized downtime by:

  staging 8.1.7.4 on new/alternate system,   moving 24x7 app to a temporary server,   restricted prod
  exp from prod
  imp on new prod
  cutover dns
  sql to recover some of the data from temporary server (app dependant!)

I figured if the upgrade failed (power hits happen), I'm down and probably reduced to a backup tape anyway. Is the backup tape going to hold together? Testing the upgrade process worked also, but left me less warm and fuzzy.

Test, test, test and see what makes you happy. Test it again!

May you live all the days of your life. - Jonathan Swift

> Reason being. I thought this way I could fix HWM and chained rowed at the same time.
>
> I also thought it might be quicker as well.
>
> You options wanted!
>
> Kathy
>
> Confidential
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property
> of Belkin Components and/or its affiliates, are confidential,
> and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
> entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one
> of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to believe
> that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
> sender and delete this message immediately from your computer.
> Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing
> or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
> Author: Kathy Duret
> INET: KathyD_at_belkin.com

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu