UNIX Q: Tricky SCP between 3 boxes without creating transient fil

From: Ross Collado <Ross.Collado_at_techpac.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:48:18 -0800

Hello gurus,

Env:

BoxA - outside the firewall.
BoxB - inside the firewall
BoxC - inside the firewall

All boxes are Solaris 8.

BoxA has the file expdat.dmp size 1.9Gb. BoxA has no access to any of the boxes inside the FW.
BoxB is the only box that can reach out to BoxA through the FW. BoxB has an exception rule in the FW.
I wanted to copy (using scp) expdat.dmp from BoxA to BoxC. I could have simply scp'd from BoxB then scp it again to BoxC, however, because of space restrictions in BoxB, this is not an option. I was thinking of using 'pipe file' using mkfifo in BoxB to scp (pull) the file from BoxA then immediately scp (push) the same to BoxC. BoxB is kind of like a middleman then.
I attempted using my script below but I got an error and core dump.

#!/bin/ksh
#This SCP script executed from BoxB

rm /home/oracle/tmp/fifo
mkfifo /home/oracle/tmp/fifo
scp -q /home/oracle/tmp/fifo   BoxC:/home/oracle &
scp -q BoxA:/oracle1/export/expdat.dmp /home/oracle/tmp/fifo
#
#End

The error is:
/home/oracle/tmp/fifo: not a regular file Segmentation Fault(coredump)

Are pipe files useable in scp's? How? I know I've used them before in EXPorts that pipes to a gzip but I can't seem to get it to work for scp. I'm only trying to avoid creating a transient copy of expdat.dmp in BoxB. Otherwise, I might have to clear out some space in BoxB (which I'm desperately trying to avoid).

Any suggestions?

Rgds,

Ross

Author: Ross Collado