RE: UNIX nice Command Good/Bad

From: Madhavan Amruthur <mad5698_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:43:46 -0800

Hi Brain,

> While we are on the subject...Has anyone messed around with binding
> processes to processors, and what were your results?

In one of our benchmarking demos when I used to work at Sequent, we did that to show scalability of Sequent (now IBM) by binding the SGA to 2quads (8 processors) using a runqueue.
We spawn database connections with a listener tied to each quad (8 processors) and then we had a script that would bind the SGA to 16 processors using runqueues and spawn couple of more listeners on two other quads and we wanted to demonstrate Sequent's scalability when we add extra quads. It worked really well in the benchmarking scenario and we could see processes migrating from processor to processor after we execute the script to add quads.

Regards,
Madhavan
http://www.dpapps.com

--