duplexing redos and archives

From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <Joseph.Armstrong-Champ_at_tufts.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:13:25 -0800

Currently we are duplexing our redo logs and archive logs through oracle. We do this at the oracle level because we are using mirroring
(raid0?) and if we lose a redo log or archive file the database will not
be affected.

We will be moving to raid5 arrays in the future and are wondering whether we still need to do the duplexing. Since the arrays are made up of data disks plus a parity disk plus a hot swap do we need to worry about losing a redo log? Our sys admins are telling us we don't and I tend to agree with them but we want to get other opinions on the subject.

How are shops handling this who are using raid5?

Thanks.
Joe

Author: Joe Armstrong-Champ
  INET: Joseph.Armstrong-Champ_at_tufts.edu