Re: Oracle Corp. move to India

From: Senthil Rajamanickam <senthil.odtug_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:18:31 -0800

I do not know how many of you actually work for Oracle, but for others (Developers who use Oracle Technology) this I do not think is immediate cause for concern. There is no way a team half the world away can solve the business problems of a company in the US byt creating IT solutions.

Oracle's move is the inevitable result of the post bubble tech-wreck. Software companies can no longer sell anything and everything they build and to maintain their margins they have to reduce expenses. And anyone who lives in Bay Area knows it is extremely expensive to maintain an army of programmers here - the cost structure being approx $200,000 per developer per year.

Ellison delivered his warning at Appsworld itself saying that the Bay Area will have much less technology companies and those that are there will resort to offshore development models.

But, as I said in the first line, it is not of 'immediate' concern but in the medium term it will be. Right now the mantra seems to be BPO meaning accounting, finance and similar back office work is taking flight from the US.

While this is the inevitable logic of 'Market Economy' (politically correct for 'Capitalism'), unnfortunately there does not seem to be a coherent strategy on the part of the US government to deal with the social impact.

Sorry for being so off topic on this list...

The good thing is that you can only work 1 corner at a time. I got to pick up a used wheelchair and go for the sympathy work :)

*so many corners so little time*

>>> sorr_at_rightnow.com 07/31/02 05:50PM >>> Guess I'll make out a sign now which reads, "Will code for food" and hang out at a busy intersection.

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

Author: Senthil Rajamanickam
  INET: senthil.odtug_at_attbi.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 19:18:31 CDT