RE: data modeling question - child table with multiple parents

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:24:44 -0800

Thanks Tom, I wish I'd said that.

Haven't done enough modeling lately...

Jared

"Magaliff, Bill" <Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
07/31/2002 02:10 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: data modeling question - child table with multiple parents

thanks, tom . . .

your second option is one I had suggested below, which in may ways is preferable - easy to track FK relationships, cascade delte, enforce r/i, etc.

your first option won't work in our case - the parent tables are too dissimilar to enable us to combine them - more real life example is storing
the address of a person and the address of an asset (e.g., property) . . . both addresses need to contain the same type of info, but they belong to two
entirely different beasts.

I'm working on separating them out - preferable to have multiple address tables, I think, that each store a unique type of data - but in the meantime
we've created a mishmash (how exactly do you spell that?)

gather the option of parent_table/parent_pk doesn't work for you?

thanks

-bill

Author: Magaliff, Bill
  INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

Author: Magaliff, Bill
  INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 16:24:44 CDT