RE: ORA-1658 even though there is enough contig free (SOLVED)

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:39:50 -0800

Any plans for Oracle upgrade? :)

Waleed

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 3:17 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Rich,

Thanks for reply and your explanation. For ver 7.3.4 dba_free_space specify large extent available but when using initial extent of around that size , it never creates initial extent of that size and generate error so I am not relying it and instead using this query. However I am not using any partitioning as 7.3.4 don't have this option....

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:50:59 -0800

Hi Rafiq,

Right, PARALLEL does do that, which is why I had stated in the original post that I had tried the CREATE without PARALLEL after coalescing the TS.

In the meantime, I have figured out what the problem is. My problem is on a test system. This test system's "MYCOOLTBL" happens to be partitioned and the index was being created "LOCAL". So, with 4 partitions, the CREATE needed 4 extents of 140MB each. Thus, a single 140MB free extent wasn't enough. Once I "fixed" the partitioned table, the index created fine in 140MB.

Your query, however, still only returns a max value of 36MB, which is not true for me. After quickly looking thru your query, I'd say it has to do with going after "max(block_id)" in the subquery. The maximum block_id for freespace in this TS probably points to a 36MB extent, but it is not the largest free extent. Use DBA_FREE_SPACE. :)

Thanks!

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
   INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Mohammad Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com