ORA-1658 even though there is enough contig free

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:18:28 -0800

Hi all,

On 8.1.7.2.0 on HP/UX 11.0, I need to create an index online. So, I see how much space I have:

select max(bytes/1024/1024)
from dba_free_space
where tablespace_name = 'MY_IDX_TS';

...and it returns "147.3475". So I create my index:

CREATE INDEX myschema.mycoolidx
 ON myschema.mycooltbl(mycoolcol) PCTFREE 15

	STORAGE(
		INITIAL 140 M
		NEXT 30 M
		)

NOLOGGING ONLINE TABLESPACE my_idx_ts PARALLEL 2;

But I keep getting "ORA-01658 unable to create initial extent in MY_IDX_TS", even though there is ample room. I thought it was because I had originally tried it with "PARALLEL 2" and there was some overhead needed, so I coalesced the TS (DICTIONARY, obviously) and tried it without the PARALLEL to no avail. I've even dropped the INITIAL down to 130M without luck (again after coalescing). Oh, to be LOCAL...

So, how big can I make the initial extent? I don't remember running into this before and I can't find anything on MetaLink. And of course, I killed the session when it was creating it so now I can't drop the index without a ORA-8104 error.

Anyone?

TIA!

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 16:18:28 CDT