Re: Slightly OT: Chart generation tool for db monitoring scripts

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:50:55 -0800

Think about how you will roll the trend data up over time. That is usually the real killer task. That is why you got people talking mrtg, because it is the poor man's solution to that problem. At least it is one wheel that has already been invented at the right price.

The snapshots you are making are really not that valuable, but they are better then a stick in the eye.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:44:49AM -0800, Jamadagni, Rajendra wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your kind help, advise and hints.
>
> I finally got it working with gnuplot.
>
> I had to make some changes to my code, but this is how it works.
>
> 1. Every 10 minutes MS task scheduler wakes up and executes a CMD file.
> 2. This CMD file
> a. Executes a SQL script that generates a HTML table output on different
> data.
> b. Generates an appropriate DATA files for the same.
> c. Generates a script for gnuplot to load and generate the plots as gif
> files.
> d. Loads gnuplot and generates the gif files.
> e. Moved the images to their default directories.
> 3. By clocking on the column header (in the HTML report), I open a new
> window and display the plot for that parameter.
>
> Works very nice ... I have a long way to go yet (to cover all statistics),
> but this has been a good start and good learning on GNUPLOT.
>
> Raj
> Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.
> Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
> Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu