RE: Space Contention and LOG_BUFFER size

From: Sherman, Edward <shermanej_at_eccic.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:18:29 -0800

I can't find it in the docs either.

Info at ixora.com suggests setting LOG_BUFFER to a multiple of the log block size.
http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/tuning/log_buffer_size.htm

This next link explains what a log block size is: http://www.ixora.com.au/notes/log_block_size.htm

Have fun!
Ed

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 1:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I am doing some performance monitoring on an 8.1.7 DB on Windoze. I ran the following query;

SQL> select name,value
  2 from v$sysstat
  3 where name = 'redo log space requests';

NAME                                                                  VALUE
redo log space requests                                                  27

If the number of 'redo log space requests' is much over zero then I should increase the LOG_BUFFER size in my init.ora, at least that is what I get from RTFM. One question I have is that does the size of the LOG_BUFFER parameter have to be a multiple of the DB_BLOCK_SIZE parameter? I vaguely remember that it shuold be but have not found anything in TFM to verify this.

Thanks,

Dave

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

Author: Sherman, Edward
  INET: shermanej_at_eccic.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 13:18:29 CDT