RE: Install Oracle 8i on Windows XP?

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:58:30 -0800

On 28 Jul 2002 at 19:33, Michael Kline wrote:

> > > There are a lot of
> > > stable production windows server systems. Not as good Unix,
> > > but it doesn't have to be.
> >
> > Oh, there are? I've also heard that legend, but after having an
> > Exchange server down
> > last week for almost a day, I stopped believing it. Moreover, for the
> > database server,
> > it DOES HAVE to be as good and as stable as possible. I can live with
> > rebooting
> > a desktop machine twice a day, but if that happens to the database
> > server, I'm in
> > trouble. That is why my company is using 4-way HP 9000/N cluster. NT
> > simply doesn't
> > cut it.
> >
> I've had several Windows NT and 2000 servers that will run Oracle for
> months, but Linux is quite good as well.
>
> I remember once while testing software, I had to "busy" a version 8
> database, then use the software(DB Scope) to look over the database
> and tell me what was wrong. I got it busy inserting records, dropping
> records, doing full table scans in a script that just kept repeating
> itself.

Sorry if I missed it before, but what is "DB Scope"?

> Well a few months later I had a revision to the software and had to look
> at a Version 8 database again... I found the I/O in the billions and
> couldn't figure out why.

Which one? The NT?

> The Linux box had been running at 99% CPU running my script for 2-3 months
> doing that test on Oracle 8, running our backup DNS, and backup Email
> server and no one even knew the box was that busy...

yes, well.... err....
"backup DNS" and "backup Email server" ??? what kind of load do they put on the system? Furthermore, does the "backup Email server" have equivalent functionality as Exchange?

I've had Oracle7.3 running on Netware for years along with file, print services and an email server (not to mention a tape backup program!!!).

executing the dos command "copy n:lrg_file.txt o:*.*" practically kills the whole server, oracle or not.

>Yet, our super
> powerful Exchange Server was down usually 1-2 times a week and was probably
> 3-5 times faster with twin processors.

Yes, Exchange (aka SQL Server) is a nightmare, which is well understood by ayone that has been in the windows server world for long.

Which is irrelevant to running Oracle on NT/2000 as far as I can tell.

> Usually when management sees a Windows database server and tries to
> "add" something to it, that's when you really start having problems.
> Keep it "plain" and it will do much better.

Excellent advice, that is what we do.

Unfortunately, for non-enterprise Oracle users, you need a pile of NT/2000 servers (don't know if this is same for *nix) if you want to use the main components of Oracle's latest technology stack.

  1. db server
  2. OEM server
  3. connectivity server (oracle names, or whatever the heck they call it)
  4. iAS server
  5. and goodness knows what else, I haven't finished PTFM/RTFM for db v8i/9i

blech.

presumably, at least for small/non-enterprise installs, #2 and #3 can probably run (together) on an old utility box, which we will have a lot of as there are hundreds of desktop PII/350 SMP boxes (IBM Intellistations) that are being replaced by new P4s.

> I just found 99% cpu for 3 months very impressive.

Great. It is refreshing to see someone providing some actual factual info.

My assumption is that (everything else equal) *nix on a PC server is a superior technology, more performant, more stable.

Unfortunately one has to know a lot more low level tech stuff to get into the *nix game than is the case with windows, and therefore *nix on a PC will remain to a large extent in the domain of high-skill-set purists and tech elites, not the mass market.

regards,
ep

http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home

Author: Eric D. Pierce