Re: Install Oracle 8i on Windows XP?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:43:29 -0800

Eric,

Need I remind you that this is an Oracle forum?

We all enjoy a little off topic banter mixed in with technical discussion, but
this is really over the top.

Please stop it.

Jared

"Eric D. Pierce" <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
07/28/2002 10:03 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Install Oracle 8i on Windows XP?

Absurd. Your intention from the beginning was to be a snobby jerk.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/102gwtnf.asp

     Among the Bourgeoisophobes

     Why the Europeans and Arabs, each in their own way, hate
     America and Israel.

     by David Brooks

     04/15/2002, Volume 007, Issue 30

     AROUND 1830, a group of French artists and intellectuals
     looked around and noticed that people who were their
     spiritual inferiors were running the world. Suddenly a
     large crowd of merchants, managers, and traders were
     making lots of money, living in the big houses, and
     holding the key posts. They had none of the high style
     of the aristocracy, or even the earthy integrity of the
     peasants. Instead, they were gross. They were vulgar
     materialists, shallow conformists, and self-absorbed
     philistines, who half the time failed even to
     acknowledge their moral and spiritual inferiority
     to the artists and intellectuals. What's more, it was
     their very mediocrity that accounted for their success.
     Through some screw-up in the great scheme of the
     universe, their narrow-minded greed had brought them
     vast wealth, unstoppable power, and growing social
     prestige.

     Naturally, the artists and intellectuals were outraged.
     Hatred of the bourgeoisie became the official emotion of
     the French intelligentsia. Stendhal said traders and
     merchants made him want to "weep and vomit at the same
     time." Flaubert thought they were "plodding and
     avaricious." Hatred of the bourgeoisie, he wrote, "is
     the beginning of all virtue." He signed his letters
     "Bourgeoisophobus" to show how much he despised "stupid
     grocers and their ilk."

     Of all the great creeds of the 19th century, pretty much
     the only one still thriving is this one,
     bourgeoisophobia. Marxism is dead. Freudianism is dead.
     Social Darwinism is dead, along with all those theories
     about racial purity that grew up around it. But the
     emotions and reactions that Flaubert, Stendhal, and all
     the others articulated in the 1830s are still with us,
     bigger than ever. In fact, bourgeoisophobia, which has
     flowered variously and spread to places as diverse as
     Baghdad, Ramallah, and Beijing, is the major reactionary
     creed of our age.

     This is because today, in much of the world's eyes, two
     peoples--the Americans and the Jews--have emerged as the
     great exemplars of undeserved success. Americans and
     Israelis, in this view, are the money-mad molochs
     of the earth, the vulgarizers of morals, corrupters of
     culture, and proselytizers of idolatrous values. These
     two nations, it is said, practice conquest capitalism,
     overrunning poorer nations and exploiting weaker
     neighbors in their endless desire for more and more.
     These two peoples, the Americans and the Jews, in the
     view of the bourgeoisophobes, thrive precisely because
     they are spiritually stunted. It is their
     obliviousness to the holy things in life, their feverish
     energy, their injustice, their shallow pursuit of power
     and gain, that allow them to build fortunes, construct
     weapons, and play the role of hyperpower.

     And so just as the French intellectuals of the 1830s
     rose up to despise the traders and bankers, certain
     people today rise up to shock, humiliate, and dream of
     destroying America and Israel. Today's bourgeoisophobes
     burn with the same sense of unjust inferiority. They
     experience the same humiliation because there is nothing
     they can do to thwart the growing might of their
     enemies. They rage and rage. Only today's
     bourgeoisophobes are not just artists and intellectuals.
     They are as likely to be terrorists and suicide bombers.
     They teach in madrassas, where they are careful not to
     instruct their students in the sort of practical
     knowledge that dominates bourgeois schools. They are
     Muslim clerics who incite hatred and violence. They are
     erudite Europeans who burn with humiliation because they
     know, deep down, that both America and Israel possess a
     vitality and heroism that their nations once had but no
     longer do.

( originally linked from www.dynamist.com )

---

... -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Eric D. Pierce INET: eric_d_pierce@pacbell.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).