RE: Transfering data from DB2 to Oracle

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:58:26 -0800

If I were you I would talk to that management.

We had a Mainframe DB2 database that needed to have shadow tables created on Oracle. What we ended up doing was to get Oracles Gateway for RDB which allowed us to create queries on Oracle that accessed data on the mainframe DB2.

We even went one step further and bought their Replication Services Package (not sure they offer it any more). This package , in conjunction with IBM's data propagator, allowed us to create scheduled update jobs that used the logs created on DB2 to update the Oracle tables.

Instead of getting Rep Services and Data Propogator, you could build your own queries that pull data to the Oracle tables thru the gateway. (But you will still need a way to tell that the data has changed on DB2).

My advice.... talk to management. Talk them into at least getting the gateway.

Author: Schauss, Peter
  INET: SCHAUPE_at_mail.northgrum.com

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jul 29 2002 - 09:58:26 CDT