RE: Windohs client problems

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:28:43 -0800

On 24 Jul 2002 at 13:32, Jesse, Rich wrote:

> > The kind of complex combo you are attempting is probably
> > inherently going to be problematic, and I would definitely
> > have asked Oracle tech support about install sequence issues

> Yeah, I know I need to place a TAR. But the last one I placed was a
> *dream*, thanks to Cathy_at_Oracle. Not only did she actually e-mail me
> directly (as opposed to only updating the TAR), but she even called to see
> that her fix actually worked. And it did (STATSPACK install f'ed up a
> couple dozen SYS packages)! I closed the TAR pleading that she forward my
> comments to her super because this was the way a TAR should be handled.

haa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa! :)

When I reread the install docs, I did see something about how deinstall of Intersolve (ODBC drivers?) would sometimes mes stuff up.

> I guess I'm afraid to try for another TAR because I know it'll be back to
> The Old Way of handling a TAR.

ya.

tease the larger/complex problem apart, and try simple combos of 2 of each of the "problem" components, and get TARs going for each?

> BTW, I've installed the 9i EE S/W in order to get the ONames Server and not
> to run a DB. I also wanted the ability to build a quick test DB for OiD if
> needed.

ok. I sort of knew that, was just in such horror/shock/denial that my brain wouldn't allow recognition. :)

I did read the whole section on networking in the Oracle9i/Windows 2000 book (
http://mhorder.com/oracle9i/0072194626.html ) yesterday. He doesn't address the specific problem, but there is excellent explanation of the underlying network architecture, and knowing that might help understand how to set up and go through trace logs during testing of various component combinations?

regards,
ep

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net