RE: shutdown abort / startup restrict / shutdown vs. shutdown imm

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:48:32 -0800

My old argument against shutdown abort was a nasty little bug (it's been fixed
in 9i). Here is how you simulate the bug:

  1. Create a table, and insert a large number of records into it. do not commit.
  2. shutdown abort. Startup the database.
  3. Now, after the database is open and while Oracle is rolling back all of those inserts, truncate the table

Watch an ora-600 appear and your database *crash*.

RF

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle OCP
Oracle Database Architect
CSX Midtier Database Administration
Author
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press - Oct 2002) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Mastering Oracle8i  (Sybex)

The avalanche has begun, It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com