RE: where should i start to learn to become a DBA?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:48:19 -0800

Shuan

    Thanks for your interest. If you haven't worked with databases much, a good first move is to think up a project that will cause you to create and maintain a small database. This can be something at work or in your personal life. Opportunities for a database abound all around us, which is what keeps we DBAs employed. For example, I was secretary of a bowling league for several years, and each year I would create a new system for tracking and reporting scores for the members. Each year I selected a different language to handle the data. One year it was Oracle, another Perl, etc. This forced me to learn a lot about Oracle at the developer level. If you understand how and why a system like Oracle is used, then when you read about how to administer it, the things you read will make more sense.

    Again, my suggestions are based on the assumption that you haven't had much opportunity to use databases. If have assumed incorrectly, ignore my suggestions.

    The Oracle manuals are written for all levels of users, from beginner to expert. Sometimes a beginner can benefit from a book written specifically for beginners. The book Oracle DBA 101 by Rachel Carmichael and others is a good starting point.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:48:19 CDT