ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel. HELP !

From: <arul.kumar_at_bt.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:23:28 -0800

Hi,

We have a Unix user dcclive ( oracle database user ops$dcclive - os authentication ).

I am able to connect my database using TNS Alias but not directly.

when i start the database in the following way :

After logging in as dcclive ( C Shell ), su -u oracle ( Korn Shell ) and started the database, exit from oracle login , connect from dcclive login using os authentication ( using / in sqlplus ), it connects to the database.

But when i logging in as dcclive ( C Shell ), su oracle and started the database, exit from oracle login , connect from dcclive login using os authentication ( using / in sqlplus ), it DOES NOT connects to the database. To connect now, i have to use TNS Alias as seen below.

uid=1037(dcclive) gid=101(dba)
kitchen% sqlplus /

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu Jul 25 12:07:36 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Enter user-name: / @dcclive

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

Why ?

Please note that Oracle login has Korn shell. Does the change of shell matters ? or am i missing something ? I have checked all the necessary env. variables. All r set properly.

How exactly su -u and su matters to oracle ?

Thanks in advance.

Arul.

  INET: arul.kumar_at_bt.com