Re: where should i start to learn to become a DBA?

From: Suhen Pather <Suhen.Pather_at_strandbags.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:43:23 -0800

Shuan,

Welcome. Being a DBA is not rocket science neither is it childs play. Reading, testing, experimenting on a dev instance is the way to go.

We all started out at some point like you.

We all do it and will continue to do so cos: we tend to forget,
newer versions/ patches come out,
diferent books and papers have different useful ideas,

My advice is dont try to grasp too much too quickly although we all like to do that sometimes. Read and understand what you doing properly before you advance to the next chapter. And start with the B A S I C S.

I would not sugest to u buying any books or taking any courses right away. Learn on your own first and then take courses later so u have a more clearer picture when u take the classes.

A good place to start is the Oracle Concepts Guide and then move on to the Oracle Administrators Guide. Also ask questions to clear any doubts.

Just my thoughts. Let see what the others have to say.

Cheers
Suhen

Author: Suhen Pather
  INET: Suhen.Pather_at_strandbags.com.au