RE: MUST read Oracle Architecture - Abrief Intro

From: Grant Allen <Grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:13:24 -0800

John Weatherman[SMTP:john.weatherman_at_replacements.com] wrote:
> >In general, I agree with the majority opinion that seems to be saying
> that
> >Oracle chugs along
> >perfectly happy when the date changes. Time based recovery might have
> some
> >issues, so I'd
> >run a hot after the change so I could use it as my basis in a restore.
> >
> >The real question in my mind is ... What does the APP do with the dates.
> If
> >you've got a time finder
> >type app, you may need some data cleanup scripts to make sure
> calculations
> >done on the stored
> >data come out right....person clocks in at 7:00 and out at 5:00, that 7
> may
> >need to be brought forward
> >to get the overtime off the clock, for instance. Someone else mentioned
> an
> >accounting issue if
> >invoice 2 goes out before invoice 1. These sorts of issues need to be
> >discussed with "power users".

This one in particular is fun to argue with accounts/purchasing people. Even when they have valid date and time data, they start getting really antsy (sp?) when you say "the invoice number is just a unique identifier, it has no inherent meaning". I should take the digital camera with me next time so I can take a snap of the cherry-red colour their face goes :-)

(Of course, this assumes that the accounting system handles the very date/time problem you're trying to tackle :-) ).

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

"Woo Hoo!" - H. Simpson

The contents of this post are my opinions only

          If swallowed seek medical advice

(Apologies for the excess signature)
This email message (and attachments) may contain information confidential to TOWER Software. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or message attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email immediately and delete all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of TOWER Software, are not given or endorsed by it.

Author: Grant Allen
  INET: Grant_at_towersoft.com.au