RE: Windohs client problems

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:07:09 -0800

Dude,

Tisk, tisk, sounds like you didn't read all 25,000 pages of documentation before starting your install/deinstall/reinstall hell.

VAX?! Well, the versions of early Oracle products were quite simple back then, no? Installing Oracle stuff on Netware or DOS/Windows back in the old days was pretty easy too.

The kind of complex combo you are attempting is probably inherently going to be problematic, and I would definitely have asked Oracle tech support about install sequence issues (as well as the ODBC problems, etc.). My assumption is that the earlier product(s) should be installed first, but that may or may not be much of a factor. You've got a lot of stuff to tease out to find the "real" problem. I would go through separate clean installs of each pair of programs, looking for glitches, then add anothe component, etc.

(probably more time consuming than a complete reinstall?)

fwiw, I'm currently working a somewhat simpler juggling act with Dev6i products and the 3.x installer and the 8.1.7.x client components installed with the 8.1.7 OUI.

Don't forget that after reinstalling/installing 8.1.7 stuff, you need to repatch it.

I still can't understand why you have the Oracle9 EE db installed (but I'm not an OEM person), do you need it there for OEM to work?.

fwiw, someone I know had a complete freeze trying to install both the Oracle9i db and 9iAS on a Windows laptop with 512MB RAM (sandbox machine).

The test machine idea is good.

(The following is not intended to be comprehensive, just some random stuff that I came across. )

Anyways, here are the official "manual cleanup" instructions for WinNT/2000:

>From the Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 EE install cd "d:\welcome.html":

(also see file:///E:/doc/Output/deinstal.htm#1088513 "Deinstalling Oracle Components with Oracle Universal Installer")

---excerpt---

file:///E:/doc/Output/deinstal.htm#1096331

> [...]
>
> Remove all Oracle components from your computer only as a last resort,
> and only if you want to remove all Oracle components from your system.

> Note:
> You can also use the ORADIM utility to manually deinstall a database
> and registry entries. See the following documentation for information:
>

> READMEDOC.HTM or READMEDOC.PDF located in the \DOC directory of the
> component CD-ROM
>
> Chapter 6, "Post-Installation Database Creation" of Oracle8i
> Administrator's Guide for Windows NT

> Removing Components on Windows NT
> To remove all Oracle components from a computer on Windows NT:

> Caution:
> These instructions remove all Oracle components, services, and
> registry entries from your computer. In addition, any database files
> under ORACLE_BASE\ORADATA\DB_NAME are also removed. Exercise extreme
> care when removing registry entries. Removing incorrect entries can
> break your system.

> Ensure you are logged in as a user with Administrator privileges.
>
> Stop all Oracle services (if any are running):
>
> Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel > Services.
>
> If any Oracle services (their names begin with Oracle) exist and have the status Started, select the service and choose Stop.
>
> Choose Close to exit the Services window.
>
> Start the registry at the MS-DOS command prompt:
>
> C:\> REGEDT32
>
> Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
>
> Delete any key that starts with Oracle or ORCL.
>
> Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE.
>
> Delete the ORACLE key.
>
> Delete the Oracle ODBC Driver key under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI.
>
> Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and remove
> all keys under here that begin with ORACLE.
>
> Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
> \EventLog\Application, and remove all keys under here that begin with
> ORACLE.
>
> Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ORACLE.
>
> Delete keys that start with Oracle or ORCL (if any exist).
>
> Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI.
>
> Delete any Oracle keys (if any exist).
>
> Close the registry.
>
> Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Environment tab.
>
> Choose the system variable path and modify the Path variable.
>
> Remove any Oracle entries from the path. For example, if JRE was
> installed by Oracle, remove the %ORACLE_HOME%\BIN path and the JRE
> path. You may see a path similar to this one:
>
> C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN;G:\PROGRAM FILES\ORACLE\JRE\1.1.7\BIN
>
> Exit the Control Panel.
>
> Go to SYSTEM_DRIVE:\WINNT\PROFILES\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS.
>
> Delete the following icons:
>
> Oracle - HOME_NAME
>
> Oracle Installation Products
>
> where HOME_NAME is the previous Oracle home name.
>
> Delete SYSTEM_DRIVE:\Program Files\Oracle through Windows NT Explorer.
>
> Delete all ORACLE_BASE directories on your hard drive.

---end---

Don't know if the following 8.1.7 instructions are relevant to a co-install with 9.x stuff, but check it out:

---begin---

file:///E:/doc/Output/ch2.htm#1093249

> Single Oracle Home Components
> Most Oracle components can be installed multiple times on the same computer. However, the following components can only be installed once per
> computer:
>
> Oracle Performance Monitor for Windows NT
>
> Oracle Objects for OLE
>
> Oracle Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) Driver
>
> Oracle Provider for OLE DB
>
> Oracle SNMP Agent
>
> If you attempt to install these components a second time, Oracle
> Universal Installer detects that these products are already installed
> in another Oracle home and automatically removes them from the
> installation process without prompting you. The following information
> is logged to the INSTALLACTIONS.LOG file in the X:\PROGRAM
> FILES\ORACLE\INVENTORY\LOGS directory.
>
> # product_name is a single oracle home product. It is already
> installed in currently_installed_location.
>

> If you are performing an installation and notice that one or more
> single Oracle home components are not available for installation
> during the current session, check to see if any of these components or
> any previous versions of these components are installed in another
> Oracle home. If you want to install these in the currently selected
> Oracle home, you must first deinstall the conflicting version(s).
>
> See Also:
> Appendix A, "Individual Components Available for Installation" for the installation types under which these components are installed.

---end---

On 24 Jul 2002 at 6:38, Jesse, Rich wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:38:29 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-
L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
California

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net