Re: RE: Rant

From: Henry Poras <hporas_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:09:22 -0800

Don't forget the neat stuff you find by accident while thumbing through the books trying to find something else.

Henry

CDs have some advantages - expense, searchability, and storage space primarily, but...

  1. CDs are more difficult to read in bed, on a plane, waiting in the terminal, etc.
  2. Books are easier to read, require less equipment, and are more portable than a computer and a CD
  3. Try having six different CD manuals open to related sections spread out in front of you - reading them while you work against the database.
  4. An open book shows two full pages of information. An open PDF about half a page.
  5. I could usually grab a manual and flip through it to the relevant info about 10x faster than a computer search - and with a lot less extraneous
    (click/point/scroll/type) activity.
  6. Highlighters, margin notes, and sticky-note bookmarks don't work at all with CDs

I miss hardcopy manuals!

Don Granaman
[certifiable OraSaurus]

RE: RE: RantNot me. I LOVE the cds. I copy them onto my hard drive and use the pdf versions..... they are SEARCHABLE.

I can find things much more quickly in the pdf's than paper.

Oracle is the only product that I feel this way about ...... probably because they have more documentation than the library of congress!

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_cox.net