locking issues in web based applications

From: Ratnesh Kumar Singh <ratnesh.singh_at_patni.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 05:53:21 -0800

Hi

I'm not very familiar with web based application development. One of our programmers has asked me a question regarding locking issues in web based applications.In a typical scenario , users access the oracle database
thro a browser via app-svr/web-svr . Connection pooling is implemented on the
web-svr to support large no of users. If a user locks some objects via updates
or deletes , then kills his browser , the objects remains locked.

The question is how to design the system such that abnormal client browser termination
does not lock any objects.One solution is not to lock objects at all , and commit immediately after update if the object timestamp has not changed .But this approach is suitable only for
short & sweet transactions.
Connection timeout is too time-taking for intensive applications to be of any use.

There must be other better ways of doing this. I need your suggestions.

TIA,
ratnesh

Ratnesh Kumar Singh
Sr. Software Engineer
Patni Computer Systems Ltd
TTC Mahape , Navi Mumbai
Work : (91 22) 7611090/110/128/350 Ext. 2107 Home : (91 22) 8662162
http://www.patni.com

Author: Ratnesh Kumar Singh
  INET: ratnesh.singh_at_patni.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 23 2002 - 08:53:21 CDT