Re: Please share your experience with RAC on linux:)

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:38:21 -0800

I'm working on getting a new system up on the same (?) platform - Dell PowerEdge 6450 nodes, Dell/EMC FC4700 array, and 9i RAC. Click on the Dell/Linux "Yes" in the certification matrix at:

http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/features/ops/certification/index.ht ml?content2.html

  1. The current certification is only for RedHat 7.1 and Oracle 9.0.1, but the Dell rep says that 9.2 should be certified on RedHat Advanced Server within "a month or so". There are some distinct advantages to the new RedHat release - and to 9.2. So far, we are just doing some burn-in and "get aquatinted" with RedHat 7.1 and 9.0.1 RAC. The SA/VP wants to go live ASAP and prefers the current config. After seeing the long list of patches to 9.0.1, some issues with it, and some serious security holes (as mentioned here a month or so ago), I am in favor of testing out 9.2 on Advanced Server and using RH7.1/Oracle9.0.1 only as a fallback position. For one thing, the Oracle-supplied cluster software is (at least) "quirky" in 9.0.1. It is supposed to be significantly better in 9.2. RedHat Advanced Server is supposed to add a lot also - multiple HBAs, a logical volume manager, etc.
  2. I use SuSE at home and it is a much smoother Oracle install than any
    (6.2-7.2)RedHat - at least for Oracle 9.2. SuSE even supplies an
    "orarun9i.rpm" to configure the kernel, startup scripts, and a bunch of stuff for Oracle9i (or "orarun8i.rpm" for 8i). In addition, there are several very savvy SuSE technical people (e.g. Michael Hasenstein and others) who frequent the SuSE-Oracle mailing list. Oracle on RedHat (any version) seems to always require jumping through a few more flaming hoops. However, RedHat is now in bed with Oracle again - after their little falling out. Even more important is that Dell officially supports only RedHat for RAC. (They also support SuSE, but do not certify it for RAC - or, I think, Oracle in general.)
  3. RAC on Dell/RedHat is headed for production "soon", but no production experience yet. I'm still working out the basic cluster quirks - like why softdog wants to reboot the nodes several times per week! (The most recent, about 48 hours ago, was because nts hiccuped and the clocks on the two nodes got about 1/2 hour out of synch.)

Don Granaman
[OraSaurus]

  hi, dbas:
We plan to setup a new database on a Linux Cluster, using Oracle 9i RAC release 2, with Dell PC Servers (4CPU, 4G memory), to store our online history data and provide read only service and some other misc applications. So, what i care is:
1. Which Oracle version to use, release 1 or release 2. Release 1 is certified on many platforms with proper hardware and os, but release 2 is relatively new. But since oracle supports new version and there is maybe less bugs , i prefer release 2 version . Can you share your opnion? 2. Which OS to choose. Suse and Redhat is the oracle prefered version. For RAC/OPS support , is suse better than redhat? Or if i choose redhat, shall i choose the redhat 7.1(the certified version with rac release 1 on Dell machine) or Redhat Advanced Server, or redhat 7.2/7.3? 3. Has anyone here used RAC in production? Especially on Linux/RAC combination? what about your experience? Please share your valuable experience here:), thanks.

Good luck

            chaos
            chaospku_at_163.net

zhu chao