RE: lru latch

From: Cunningham, Gerald <Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:03:20 -0800

Hi Babu,

How many cpu's does the box have?

What is db_block_lru_latches set to?

What is your latch miss pct?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 2:13 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

All

We are testing out the scalability of our new GS160 server. We are trying to run multiple processes concurrently to see how the server/db is able to handle load.

Most of these jobs are very similar - sqlplus sessions selecting count(*) from different tables with a where clause. This is pulled directly of the cursors used by the application.

When run serially these jobs run in less than 1 minute - which is pretty good considering the size of the able and the where clause. If run simultaneously ieach degrades to around 4 min each.

I looked at the wait events. It is to be waiting on db_file_scattered_read, db_file_sequential_read and cache_buffer_lru_chain latch. the proportion of thse waits is almost equal - approx 30% of the wait time is in each of these.

I can understant the db_file waits - it has to get data from the disk and probably I need to tune the IO more like IO balancing etc. But I cant understand why Oracle is trying to get a LRU latch here.

I use the following query to tell me how much of the db buffers is still free

select decode(state, 0, 'Free',1,decode(lrba_seq,0,'Available','Being used'), 3,'Being Used',state) "Block Status", count(*) from x$bh group by decode(state, 0, 'Free',1,decode(lrba_seq,0,'Available','Being used'), 3,'Being Used',state) /

And this tells me that more than 50% of the buffers are "Available". Why do I see LRU latch waits?

Also the physical reads do not decrease - even if I run the same load test multiple times. First time I can understand it has to fetch the data from the disk but subsequent runs should get it from the memory. I dont do full table scans so the data has no reason to go to the end of the LRU list.

We are running NUMA architecture with direct_io disabled on Oracle 8.1.7.2

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Babu

  INET: Babu.Nagarajan_at_Cummins.com

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged, and/or attorney work product for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, reliance, or distribution by others or forwarding without permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies

Author: Cunningham, Gerald
  INET: Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 16:03:20 CDT