STATSPACK space requirement feature on 8i (FYI)

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:38:39 -0800

Hi all,

I've been having problems with a STATSPACK index running out of extents in 8.1.7. Turns out that the docs are wrong or at least a little misleading. In MetaLink note 149113.1 and also in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spdoc.txt, it states:

"The default initial and next extent size is 1MB for all tables and indexes which contain changeable data."

(spdoc.txt may be slightly different) This is not true for some of the
indexes created by PK constraints, like STATS$PARAMETER_PK. The index will be created with the tablespace's default extent sizes. In my case, it was way too small.

I looked in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spctab.sql on my 9i install and the missing storage parameters have been inserted there. So, I filed a TAR on it and the analyst said I was the first to report the problem. He also stated that since 8.1.7.4 is now frozen that there wouldn't be a backport. I've asked that the issue be a new Metalink note.

Just in case anyone else has had an issue with this. I can't be the first one, can I?

Enjoy!

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com