RE: Connection problem if parameter HOME is set

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:28:32 -0800

Kirti,

Nope. I did check for that. Also, my friend discovered that revoking execute privs on that directory (/usr/users/oracle) also resolved the problem.

Seems wierd to me but maybe someone will have an explanation.

Stephen

>>> "Deshpande, Kirti" <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com> 07/19/02 10:57AM >>>
Does it have any sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora file?

HOME
> environement variable is set to the oracle users home
> (/usr/users/oracle) we can't connect to any oracle databases. When
it
> is set to anything else (or to nothing) everything works fine. What
is
> wrong with that directory to cause this?
>
> Also, this is only happening on one host and not on others.
>
> We are on Compaq Tru64 5.1 unix and a variety of 8i databases.
>
> Any clues?
>
> -->$ pwd
> /usr/users/oracle
>
> -->$ echo $HOME
> /usr/users/oracle
>
> -->$ sqlplus oradba_at_web1i
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Fri Jul 19 09:04:10 2002
>
> (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect
> descriptor
>
> -->$ unset HOME
>
> -->$ sqlplus oradba_at_web1i
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Fri Jul 19 09:04:58 2002
>
> (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Enter password:
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning option
> JServer Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
>
> Stephen

> Author: Stephen Andert
> INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com