OT: MicroSoft Admission

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:19:36 -0800

Jared, First off my apologies for an off topic post, but considering the amount of OS discussions we have, I really don't think it's totally off base.

Dick Goulet

                    Ballmer 'fesses up to Linux/Windows cost
                    FUD
                    By Thomas C Greene in Washington

                    Windows is a lot more expensive to run than Linux, Microsoft
CEO
                    Steve Ballmer has finally confessed. Despite Redmond's
heroic
                    efforts to defeat common knowledge with elaborately-rigged
total
                    cost of ownership 'studies', innuendo, FUD and outright
distortions,
                    the rhetorical power of common experience has become too
                    powerful, even for a marketing behemoth like MS.

                    According to an article by VARBusiness, Ballmer now concedes
that
                    MS execs "haven't figured out how to be lower-priced than
Linux. For
                    us as a company, we're going through a whole new world of
                    thinking."

                    Interestingly, an old page on the MS Web site claiming that
the lower
                    costs of Linux are "a myth" has been removed. In its place
is a more
                    reasonable item cheerfully touting the many wonderful
features in
                    Windows which Linux, it's said, lacks.

                    So it seems MS is going to stop defying common sense and
take an
                    approach we could sum up as, 'it costs more because it's
worth
                    more'. This too will probably not survive informed criticism
or daily
                    experience, but it's certainly easier for the company's
flacks and
                    salesmen to say with a straight face. ®

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 12:19:36 CDT