Re:experiences oracle on linux rh

From: Markus Reger <reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:33:18 -0800

>>> Mailer Daemon <MAILER-DAEMON_at_fatcity.com> 07/16/02 16:41 PM >>>
The destination address you specified for your message could not be reached because of a locking problem. Your message is being returned to you so that you can resend it if you desire. The locking problem should be resolved within a few minutes. Sorry for the inconvenience.

just a glance at my experiences:
we have some rh 7.2 ( if you need openmotif 7.3) linux boxes with P3 - some dual - and minimum 512 kb - mostly 1024 kb - ram. compared to 8i there were little problems with 9.0.1. we have 'em for testing purposes. so 9.2.0. and 9.0.3 and oid are running fine. there are no severe problems any more - may be you should know about the rh site based hints about running oracle an rh advanced linux server 2.1. - if you encounter any mischiefs there you'll find remedies. so far my experiences are good. we have some sun os 8 ant nt 2000 machines as well. cooperation is no problem. be careful with configuration of fqdn's. have a lot of fun - and success as well. kr

>>> chaospku_at_163.net 07/16/02 16:10 PM >>>
  hi, dbas:

        We plan to setup a new database on a Linux Cluster, using Oracle 9i RAC release 2, with Dell PC Servers (4CPU, 4G memory), to store our online history data and provide read only service and some other misc applications. So, what i care is:

  1. Which Oracle version to use, release 1 or release 2. Release 1 is certified on many platforms with proper hardware and os, but release 2 is relatively new. But since oracle supports new version and there is maybe less bugs , i prefer release 2 version . Can you share your opnion?
  2. Which OS to choose. Suse and Redhat is the oracle prefered version. For RAC/OPS support , is suse better than redhat? Or if i choose redhat, shall i choose the redhat 7.1(the certified version with rac release 1 on Dell machine) or Redhat Advanced Server, or redhat 7.2/7.3?
  3. Has anyone here used RAC in production? Especially on Linux/RAC combination? what about your experience? Please share your valuable experience here:), thanks.

Good luck

            chaos
            chaospku_at_163.net

zhu chao