Re: Size of Oracle server processes

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:38:42 -0800

Exactly. Each process is carrying two separate UGAs and PGAs in the server process's "heap" area, which is a data segment. Does HPUX have a "pmap" utility, as can be found in Solaris and Linux? It does a great job of breaking down a process into the distinct code and data segments. I don't know "glance" very well, so I can visualize what your seeing...

If you're inclined to test this effect, you can implement multiple connections using OCI or PRO*C in a test program. On Oracle8i software installs, there is an OCI demo program named "cdemoses.c" in the directory "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo" which creates two connections from the same program. I don't know exactly what it does, but it could be something to compile/link quick and see if the effect is duplicated...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com