RE: OT - unix vs linux vs windows - the future

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:23:26 -0800

Andrey

   I think it is important to understand the situation from the vendor's point of view. That will lead to more accurate predictions of their future behavior. At this point, I feel Linux has great momentum behind it, virtually guaranteeing its success, and your statement about vendors splashing it all over their Web pages is evidence of that momentum.

   Someone made the comment that there were lots of non-Linux systems in place. That is true, but the vendors don't make much money from existing systems. Only new systems drive revenue, which is why we tend to get cranky with Oracle for paying more attention to potential customers that to we loyal supporters.

   As I recall, Sun was one of the last Unix vendors to "embrace" Linux. And it was severely criticized for being behind the other major vendors. My suspicion is that Sun's support at this stage is more of the lip service variety. Has anyone had a Sun salesperson try to talk them into implementing Linux instead of Solaris?

   IBM has provided the most Linux support of any of the major vendors. However, AIX hasn't developed the market share of Solaris. My suspicion is that IBM's undeniably genuine support of Linux is not so much altruism, but "anything that hurts Microsoft".

   Again, I'm just speaking to market momentum. I can recall the time when Unix was considered "not ready for prime time". Vendors were putting their dollars into proprietary systems. Then, HP broke from the pack, de-emphasized their bread-and-butter proprietary O.S. and made a sincere commitment to Unix. They wound up as a major Unix vendor, while their competitors ended up as historical footnotes. Sun should pay careful attention to that experience.

   For Oracle, my guess is that their goal is to use Linux to look modern and open and hope nobody asks why they are spending $40k/processor for Oracle and getting the Linux O.S. for free.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com