(Fwd) ORACLE HAS ONCE AGAIN ROYALLY F*ED UP / Re: Looking for Forms 5

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:43:19 -0800

Assuming that you can somehow find the patch number (which is the same as the directory name), this is the new patch download facility:

>ftp updates.oracle.com
>cd 1647241
>binary
>get p1647241_210_WINNT.zip

---log file---

230-
230-           Welcome to the Oracle Patch Download FTP Server
230-
230- Access
230- ------
230- Access to this system is limited to authorized users of Oracle
230- Metalink.  Unauthorized access to or use of this system is prohibited
230- and may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution.  Use of this
230- system may be monitored for the purpose of maintaining system
230- security, and system information may be accessed or disclosed under
230- limited circumstances.
230-
230- All transmissions of Oracle software, documentation, source code,
230- technical data or technology must comply with Oracle's Export
230- Compliance Corporate Policy.  For more information, refer to Oracle's
230- Internal Export Control & Compliance Manual or contact your division's
230- Export Control Officer.
230-
230- Usage
230- -----
230- To download a patch, you must know the patch number. At any time you
230- can "cd <patch number>" and then "ls" to find a listing of patches
230- with that number. Enter "quote site help" to get this welcome banner
230- and additional helpful instructions.
230-
230- Caveats
230- -------
230- - You may not list files or directories from the root directory.
230- - You must select binary transfers for this service to work.
230
ftp>
---> dir
PORT 192,168,0,2,13,85
200 PORT command OK.
---> LIST
150 Opening data connection for file listing. total 1
226-Listing complete. Data connection has been closed.
226-It is the policy of this server to deny all
226-requests to list from the root directory.
226-Only diretories with names which match
226 bug numbers exist and there are too many to be listed. ftp: 9 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 9000.00Kbytes/sec. ftp> ---> quit
QUIT
221 Goodbye. Service closing connection.

---end log file---

Go into Metalink and click on the "Patches" button on the left:

> Notice: All critical patches have been moved to this new advanced
> Patch Download screen. As of June 17, 2002, the old patch download
> area has been decommissioned. Patch Download Screen, Decommission
> Information

---

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showNO
T?p_id=199805.1

excerpt:

> As of June 17, 2002, this portion of the MetaLink patch download area
> has been decommissioned.
>

> For your convenience, all critical patches have been moved from this
> area to the main patch download area. You can access the main patch
> download area by clicking on the "Patches" button in the MetaLink
> navigation menu. In the unlikely event that you are unable to retrieve
> a critical patch, please create a Metalink iTar, with details of the
> required patch, for Oracle Support to resolve. Do not use the MetaLink
> feedback button to request a patch, as this will only delay the
> resolution.
>
> Thank you!
> The MetaLink team.

---
> View the latest Applications Release 11i Packs

> ( http://ap103aru.us.oracle.com/quicklinks/apps.html ),

> the latest Oracle Server / Tools Patchsets

> ( http://ap103aru.us.oracle.com/quicklinks/server.html ),

> or enter your selection criteria below.

> Patch Download
>
> To view a list of available patches, select a product and platform
> combination from the drop-down lists.

> Patch Number:

> Product Family: select a product family
>Limit Search to: select an entry
>Includes File:
> Order by: Release date Patch Number

> Copyright (c) 1995, 2001 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
> Legal Notices and Terms of Use.
Of course the profoundly sick b*stards that designed the convoluted select criteria list made it impossible to find something simple like a list of patches for "forms 5", you have to rummage around amongst various options/suboptions for "Developer", "Developer Suite", etc. Another victim of Oracle's byzantine product naming/numbering scheme. Note that a simple search for "forms 5 patch" returned a vast number of entries that do not appear to be relevant. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! Moving right along, I look in "Top Tech Docs". "Internet Developer Tools" seems the closest approximation??? (of course forms 5 may, or may not, be used for "Internet", but nevermind.) Ah yes, click "Oracle Forms". Under "Patches", there is almost nothing useful!!! AMAZING! CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! Ah, but in "64630.1", there is a link to "74145.1" (Developer Version Number Matrix). hmmmmm... : Forms 5.0.5 = Developer 2.0 Forms 5.0.6 = Developer 2.1 So, the latest appears to be for: Forms "5.0.6.23.1", "Patch 11" dated "27-jul-00 " (of course the selection criteria for any of that results in "patch not found"!) CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! ----- So, backtracking, why not try the link at the top of the "Patches" page? (see further below for "Patch Bundles for Individual Products or Components ") "latest Oracle Server / Tools Patchsets ( http://ap103aru.us.oracle.com/quicklinks/server.html ) So, under "Product Bundles", I click "Oracle Developer", select "Windows" and "2.1.0". Result: | Patch download | You have selected the following patch: | | ID:528263 Patchset::1647241 README ( http://ap103aru.oracle.com/ARULink/Readme/process_form?aru=528 263... ) --- || Oracle Developer/2000 Release 2.1 - Patch Release || for Windows 95 and Windows NT || Release Notes || Release 2.1 For Windows 95 and Windows NT Patch || July 27, 2000 || || Under most circumstances, you DO NOT need to install any of these || patches. || However, if you are instructed by Oracle Worldwide Support to install || any of these patches, please read through this README file before start || your installation. || || If you have installed other products from the Production CD || after applying the GUI Common Files or Tools Utilities patch || from this CD, then you need to re-install them from this CD || again. || || These Release Notes include the following information: || - Contents of this CD || - Installation Instructions || - Information about this Patch Release || || Contents of this CD || At the root level of this CD you will see the following directories: || || \INSTALLR || \FORWIN95 || \PATCHES || \EXTRAS || || \INSTALLR contain operating system specific Oracle Installers (launched || by the SETUP.EXE file), and associated files needed by the Installer. || || In this PATCH, the following components have changed from the previous || patch: || --FORMS 5.0.6.23.1 ... --- | RELEASE 2.1 :PATCH11 | Product:Oracle Developer | Platform:MS Windows NT/2000 Server | Language:American English | Version:Developer 2.1.0 | Last updated:16-FEB-2001 | Size:145M (152796293 bytes) (20 minutes later, the download is still completing over a very high speed University connection, I'll report on the download later when it is done). ---------- Alternatively, under "Patch Bundles for Individual Products or Components ", click "Developer Forms" (OOPS!!! For "Windows", there is only a "6i" option!!!) haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaa haa haa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaa haa haa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaa haa haa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaa haa haa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaa haa haa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaa haa haa CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! ----------
"deny all requests to list from root" you have to know the patch number, then cd to that CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! ---------- Oh well, I guess there is always the next "Alice Through the Looking Glass" option of logging a TAR and getting some clueless new OWS employee!!! Or going to "Forum". CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THE DECISION MAKERS AT ORACLE THAT METALINK SUCKS?!?! regards, ep On 12 Jul 2002 at 10:25, [deleted] wrote:
... ------- End of forwarded message ------- -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Eric D. Pierce INET: eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).