Re: Re: Help me tuning the log file sync wait event

From: chaos <chaospku_at_163.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 07:18:19 -0800

Connor McDonald£¬

ÔÚ 2002-07-12 02:33:00 You wrote:
>Some suggestions
>
>a) Check your commit frequency - if you're committing
>like mad then this is a great way to over stress redo
>logging operations.

Yes, i check the statspack report and find there is about 20 commits/second in may, and now there is 40 commits/second these days. I do not know whether this is too much. THis is a busy oltp system,and the trend is that there will be more and more transactions per second, painful

>b) Check the size of the average redo write. If
>they're small, you might get some benefit by
>allocation write cache in the T3 to the redo logs (if
>thats possible) to batch up the writes

The average redo size per transaction is quite small, as i can see it from the statspack,

~                            Per Second       Per Transaction
                                   ---------------       ---------------
                  Redo size:             82,547.28              2,247.16
per transaction is 2kbytes in size. I will try to modify the T3 cache policy. and see if this helps.It can be modified when it is running, as the document said, but my sa do not dare to modify it as i had requested.:(, maybe we have to try it.

oracle_at_main-db1$sar -d 2 2

SunOS main-db1 5.7 Generic_106541-14 sun4u 07/13/02

22:07:33 device %busy avque r+w/s blks/s avwait avserv

22:07:35     ssd0,e          100    20.7     199    3189     0.0   104.4
	This is the most busy time in the day for the system, and this device ssd0,e is for the redo log volumn, 3189blocks/200=16blocks/second, that means 8KBytes per write.This is some small write, but still much greate than the 2k per transaction. why? other wasted log because of the too large log_buffer_size?

(there should be no read for redo log, right, unless it is being archived, so all write).

>c) Look at means at reducing the amount of redo log
>your're generating eg transaction auditing etc
This seems hard, we do not have much other information other than the transaction data.

Thanks so much for your help, and your site:)

Good luck!

            chaos
            chaospku_at_163.net

zhu chao