Re: WHICH TABLE NEED TO INCREASE FREELISTS

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:13:17 -0800

One suggestion to "suggest" which table(s) might need increased FREELISTS is to run the following query against V$SQLAREA:

    select substr(upper(sql_text),1,30), sum(executions)     from v$sqlarea
    where command_type = 2 /* insert */
    group by substr(upper(sql_text),1,30)     order by 2 desc;

The basic idea is that it is only INSERTs that are affected by freelists. The query will display the most frequently executed INSERT statements. Of course, there are many ways this query can provide the wrong picture (i.e. lack of bind-variable use causing unshareable SQL) but that is mitigated somewhat by the SUBSTR() of SQL_TEXT.

Anyway, as Anjo says, I wouldn't use the results from this query as proof positive of a need to increase the number of freelists, but I think further cogitation upon the results of this query might lead to an "ah ha!" situation. As he said, if you know the object, you know it makes sense...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com