Oracle on Linux ... Production Strength ???

From: Christopher Royce <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:28:20 -0800

Need Input:

I would like to solicit real life experiences, educated opinions, accolades and criticisms from those of you who have implemented or are considering implementing Oracle on Linux in a business critical production environment.

We are considering both Red Hat and Suse distributions. We have discovered that regardless of the Linux distribution .... support is generally expensive. That is not a particularly 'deal breaker' determining factor .. BUT .. I question the quality of support, the expediency of response and the
'sense of urgency' experienced in the event of a critical application being
down. I am familiar with limited Oracle-Linux implementations but not to the
'industrial strength' degree that has been proposed (but already
implemented) by our requesting user community.

Is there a preferred distribution ???? We already have Red Hat and Suse implementations and will choose one of them as the standard .... 'should we chose to accept this mission'. I believe that both claim to be the preferred distribution by Oracle and that they are 'tier one ports' ????

My initial implementation is Suse 7.2 Enterprise on an IBM NetFinity, 4 cpu, 2 Gbyte (memory) server using a Net Appliance Filer. There are six instances currently up and running. Thus far there have been no occurrences of swapping or i/o bottlenecks .... but then the system has yet to be fully
'stressed' and there are scalability concerns. The USER also wants to put
Oracle 9iAS on the same box - I have managed to delay that for now, pending further research. I have had a couple of worrying episodes where a file system 'filled up' (on the Filer) that completely 'hung' the system .... requiring a full system re-boot. Incidentally the aforementioned NetFinity implementation is 'a given' as the six instances have already been migrated from an aged and de-commissioned HP system. I have inherited the results and there is no going back at this juncture.

Your knowledge, thoughts and wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thnx & OK Bye
"The world has arrived at an age
of cheap complex devices of great
reliability, and something is bound
to come of it." -- Vannevar Bush (1945)

Chris Royce

The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing software at because binary attachments are not appropriate for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to you by private E-mail.

This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions about this message, contact for clarification.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Christopher Royce