RE: Where is Oracle 9.2 init.ora?

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:48:38 -0800

I checked this on my 9.2 Oracle on win2k:

1- Database is up and running
2- There is no init<sid>.ora
3- show parameters indicate a parameter called spfile
4- checked v$parameter and found spfile is defined by default to
spfile<sid>.ora
5- renamed the file spfile.
6- shutdown the database.
7- try to restart the database.
8- It failed saying can not find init<sid>.ora
9- Copied spfile to init.ora
10- restart the database.
11- Failed. It complains about the file format (it's binary).
12- Let's rename spfile file back to its original name.
12- Now we have a wrong init.ora and correct spfile.
13- restart the database.
14- Database is up and no errors. It never complains about the format of init.ora which indicates that it checks first for spfile

    if it's there it restarts the database without reading init.ora. If there is no spfile then Oracle tries to use init.ora. 15- I used to edit spfile in 9.01 on Solaris using vi and it worked.

Regards,

Waleed

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Khedr, Waleed
  INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 12:48:38 CDT