RE: runInstaller

From: <Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:09:22 -0800

My ignorant 2 cents. I have an x-terminal so I thought, "No problem"... After using the new installer 3 or 4 times, I would much rather have the old line mode installer. For me the resource problem is the xterm. My servers have no problem running this stuff. But when I crank this dog up from from xterm, the xterm's lights dim...I can't touch any of the other open windows or even move them around, I actually can't fix the tiny fonts (information on this didn't apply), and the gui controls are "funky" (technical term) and not very, um, responsive. I know a lot of this is probably due to inadequate memory on the xterm (which I can't do anything about at the moment)...but so far I fail to see the value added. The motif gui worked better for me too if I chose to use it. I guess I'll have to break down and get an x-windows client for my PC...it, of course, has lots of memory.

On a more positive note, I do remote installs too but haven't tried this from home yet...meaning I've done both local and remote installs (ie: across our WAN) at work and the remote installs didn't seem to be any worse than the local installs.

Kip Bryant