Re: How to calculate table size in 8i

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:18:18 -0800

Regarding this question, I like to use the following story...   One day, the king ordered that a census be taken. He wanted to know how much money he could expect to collect in taxes.

  He called together all the dukes and duchesses in the kingdom and ordered them each to count the subjects in their lands.

  Each of the dukes and duchesses went home and called together all of their barons and baronesses, ordering them to count each subject in their lands.

  The barons went home and called together all of the counts and countesses, ordering them to count each subject in their lands.

  ...and so on, and so on, and so on, until the orders arrived at the local village level...

  In each village, the local constable, bearing orders to count the heads of all subjects in the village, went into the pub. Ordering a beer, each constable wrote down the number "50" on his census form, and handed the form back to his supervisor. Who tabulated the results and returned the results to his superior. And so on...

  The numbers were tabulated accurately and the king had his census. Was the census accurate? After all, the process was accurate and reliable and well thought out and logical...

Why is this story relevant? The earlier, very detailed formulas from the Oracle7 note in MetaLink was utterly accurate in how it described how space was allocated in database blocks, but completely irrelevant in actual practice. The reason is that those formulas had at their core a guess: "avg(length(column-name))". In essence, a guess. Therefore, as accurate as the king's census...

---

In short, the method in the latter is more accurate.  It is extrapolation based on a sample of data, not guesswork.  Almost every datatype in Oracle is variable-length (i.e. NUMBER, VARCHAR2, NVARCHAR2, RAW, LONG, LOB), while the DATE, CHAR, and NCHAR datatypes are fixed-length.  With variable-length datatypes, formulas just don't work well...

Hope this helps...