RE: Re[2]: What is the point to use "alter database rename file"

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:51:15 -0800

Good question Tom.

Afraid I don't know the answer though.

The SCN's could conceivable be different in some files. I don't believe READ ONLY tablespace file headers are updated.

Since the Log Files must be included in the 'CREATE CONTROLFILE' statement, it may be getting the SCN from the logs, which one would think should be an authoritative source for the info.

Jared

"Mercadante, Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
07/09/2002 01:30 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Re[2]: What is the point to use "alter database rename file"

Jared,

Just curious - when you create new control files, where does the current SCN
# come from - all of the file headers? If all of the SCN's are the same in
all of the file headers, is this then stored in the control file which would
allow for use of older archive log files? Is the software *really* that smart?

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       7/9/2002 5:58 AM

well, I can think of one off the top of my head -- your way the database has to be shutdown.

using alter database rename file you can just take the tablespace that owns that datafile offline and do the work. All users who don't need that particular tablespace are not affected.

Do You Yahoo!?
Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free http://sbc.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com