RE: What is the point to use "alter database rename file" command

From: Jeff Herrick <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:33:28 -0800

Nope, goes back to at least 7.1 =8-) can't speak for 6 and pre 6 as I'm not that old :) (I am but I was too busy with 4 other types of db's!)

The point is that you're only affecting 1 tablespace, the rest of the db stays available. Similarly, the window of 'unavailability' is smaller of you're only moving a couple of files versus all files (even with the speed of an 'mv' command)

I guess the command would be pointless if you're the only user of the database and hence the only user being disrupted. =8-0

Jeff Herrick

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Mercadante, Thomas F wrote:

> Jalil,
> You have to remember that some of these commands have been around for
> awhile. The "Alter database" command was the *only* way we could move data
> files in earlier versions of Oracle. Rebuilding new control files was only
> introduced just recently (in 8.0 I believe).
> I still would not rebuild a control file just to move a data file to a new
> location. Some of us old codgers are superstitious about these
> "new-fangled-ways"!
> Hope this helps
> Tom Mercadante
> Oracle Certified Professional