RE: slightly OT, permissions unix/oracle puzzler

From: Kathy Duret <KathyD_at_belkin.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:28:19 -0800

Ok but why would I create a new group? Couldn't I just chmod the permissions on the directory directly?

I understand what your saying but my problem is more than just utl_file and it is ok on one system A and not the other system B

oracle dba are the owner and groups on BOTH systems.

If I go in OEM and create a file under my oracle directories

The one system A creates it as :

-rw-rw---- 1 oracle dba 24576 Jul 8 15:07 TEST2.dbf

The other System B as
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 24576 Jul 8 15:07 TEST2.dbf

I have the same problem with utl_file writing to directories oracle dba and I cannot change the owner and/or groups on these directories. They have to remain oracle dba

The .profiles are the same the umasks are the same. They both are solaris. The only difference I can see is that System B sits on Netapp filer.

Is there something that might have been done to the owner oracle or group dba that sets the permissions on all the directories as rw vs r?

I know someone on System A didn't go through and change all the permission on the directories to make things rw

What does OEM use?

Kathy

Author: Kathy Duret
  INET: KathyD_at_belkin.com

Author: Kathy Duret
  INET: KathyD_at_belkin.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 18:28:19 CDT