RE: Oracle Applications Development Database Refresh

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:06:00 -0800

Thanks John.

Definitely not NCA.

Definitely not using terminal emulation, so it must be the smart client.

I'll take a whack at it using your instructions as soon as I can get to it.

The dev instance is on the same (underpowered) box as production server. I don't yet know if this simplifies things, or complicates them.

Jared

John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
07/08/2002 12:13 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Oracle Applications Development Database Refresh

Jared,

> I *think* this is 10.7 character.

It would be if your users use a VT terminal emulator to access the application. Be aware though that a combination of Character/Smart client could exist... In this case, it does not matter though as the work that you
would do will be the same.

> I don't believe it is NCA ( isn't that the Java Workstation version?
> You know, the one at Open World that never worked? ;)

If you used any form-type interface within a Browser, then it would be NCA.
There are some web based elements though, such as Self Server Web Apps. The
difference is that NCA works like a form (Enter/Execute Query for e.g.) while the SSWA is a pure Web-type interface.

> How would I identify Smart Client?

The Smart Client set consists of the Application (Forms) working off either
a 'Client' PC. In most cases, this is via a shared service such as Citrix -
on a Windows box in any case. In other words a very thick (smart!?!?!) client.

Scott S - In many cases, the Apps SysAdmin performs the work on the 'applmgr' and related APPS/APPLSYS accounts after the Db/Appltop copy and the DBA is not involved.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Want to know about a carpenter who built a bridge with two sticks and three
nails? Write me for details!

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com