Re: Adding Control files

From: Bill Buchan <wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:13:19 -0800

At 10:18 04/07/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello All
>
>I got a request to add at least 2 more control files to the database.
>Currently we are having 2 control files.
>
>I read the docs (not too much, it is 20:00 now) and did not see it.
>
>1) How do you add a control file?
> Alter system backup control file and then add it to Init parms?

You do not need to do anything at the SQL prompt to add a control file.

Shutdown the database, physically copy (at the OS) one of the existing control files to the two new locations (depending on naming conventions at your site you may also need to rename it) and then add the file details to the control_files parameter in the Init file. Then restart the database.

>2) I was told that having 4 control files solves some contention.
> Anybody encountered this?

I can't see how this would be the case. You are merely adding redundancy to prevent against loss of the file through multiple disk failures.

The control files are all identical and must therefore *all* be updated at a checkpoint. So this potentially *increases* contention, but unless you have very large numbers of data files (or you are also in the middle of doing something with RMAN without a recovery catalog) then the additional overhead should not be too severe.

Can you find out some more details from the person who told you this, as I can't see what they're getting at!

Author: Bill Buchan
  INET: wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com