RE: dbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:13:25 -0800

Oracle note: 120061.1

QUESTION:  Why is the table extending with the next extent that is specified even though
 it is a locally managed tablespace.

ANSWER:  Migrated tablespaces are not subject to the UNIFORM/SYSTEM policy of newly  created locally managed tablespaces. This would be too difficult to implement,
 since the tablespace is likely to contain the existing objects which already
 violate new policy. For this reason, migrated tablespace only support the same
 allocation policy as the dictionary tablespaces. If you select from  DBA_TABLESPACES, you should see "USER" value in the ALLOCATION_TYPE column for
 migrated tablespaces, and UNIFORM or SYSTEM value for tablespaces which were
 created as locally managed.

 Therefore, the user does not get the policy benefits from migration, but can
 still get performance benefits - no ST enqueue contention and more efficient
 extent operations.

Is it not beautiful?

Regards,

Waleed