Re: performance

From: Alexandre Gorbatchev <alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 00:03:19 -0800

> I didn't mean to be so stiff on the reply -- sorry for that...
You are excused...
Just kidding. :-) I didn't mean that either - my apologies.

And you may be very right on the political perspective. What's done is done. It could be not the right time for late general setups, but analysis is always a good choice.

> The most common issues in the redo stream are certainly sizing and I/O.
> Yes, it can be quite cut-and-dried. But Ravi merely mentioned that
> "performance was slower" after enabling ARCHIVELOG mode and for all we
know,
> it truly may have nothing to do with the redo logging stream whatsoever.
It
> could be something else (i.e. bad SQL that someone recently slammed in at
> the same time) that neither Ravi (nor we) are aware of. It could be
> anything at all...
>
> So, making changes in the complete absence of information can easily end
up
> with the following scenario: Ravi makes the recommended changes (i.e. add
> redo log groups, change group sizes, pester SysAdmins to create new
> file-systems to separate online from archived destinations, etc), all with
> no impact on performance. Thus, his credibility is harmed, if not totally
> destroyed. Happens all the time...(8 million stories in the naked
city)...

> Better to look first, understand exactly what is happening, and act on
real
> information.

538-5051

Author: Alexandre Gorbatchev
  INET: alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de