Re: Perl for Oracle DBAs....wow.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 21:58:22 -0800

Here's the TOC.

Not too sure about an abstract, or what I can post here without upsetting O'Reilly's apple cart. I'll find out. I've put a few comments in the toolkit part of the TOC.

Jared

These chapter numbers are not correct. I couldn't find a corrected TOC in Word, so this is somewhat different than reality. Close enough for now though.

Table of Contents
Part I: Introducing Perl for Oracle
1. Perl Meets Oracle
2. Installing Perl

Part II: Extending Perl

3.    Perl GUI Extensions
4.    Perl Web Extensions
5. Embedding Perl into Apache with mod_perl
6. Embedded Perl Web Scripting
7. Invoking the Oracle Call Interface with Oracle::OCI
8. Embedding Perl into PL/SQL

Part III: The Perl Database Administration Toolkit 9. Installing the PDBA Toolkit
How to install the modules and scripts, and a number of required supporting modules, for Win32 and Unix.

How to setup the password server. Configurable for database, server and account names. Allows restricting some passwords to certain users. Only authenticated password server users allowed access. Passwords sent over the network via RC4 encryption.

  1. Monitoring the Database with the PDBA Toolkit Monitor alert.logs from a Unix Daemon or Service, use a regular expression to catch errors of interest and mail to DBA.
Monitor database connectivity. Somewhat flexibile. Configure the times for required uptime during which the DBA should be paged on a per database basis. Rotating 'on call' DBA email addresses. Optional paging of OPS, DBA Supervison, etc. Log all connectivity checks.

Some other stuff.

  1. Building a Database Repository with the PDBA Toolkit

Store schemas in a repository. Several canned reports to report on changes that may have occurred.

Store SQL and Execution Plans. Find execution paths that have changed over time.

Plan on using a lot of disk space for this stuff. :)

  1. Performing Routine DBA Tasks with the PDBA Toolkit Scripts for: Killing Sniped Sessions ( flame on if you must, but I kill 'em, and make it easier for others to do so as well ;)

creating and dropping user accounts, including a script to create many at one time.

Extract DDL

sqlunldr.pl - dump a whole schema or selected tables to CSV format, generating SQL*Loader files for each. Handles BLOB's and LONG's upto 32k. One of my favorites. :)

  1. Extending the PDBA Toolkit

We walk through a script using most of the included modules and give detailed explanations of the code. Probably necessary for writing your own unless you have a lot of Perl experience.

Worth the read just to understand how to use the Password Server modules in your Perl scripts. The command line stuff is easy, but the modules require a bit of explanation, it's kind of tricky.

Part IV: Appendixes

A.    The Essential Guide to Perl
B.    The Essential Guide to Perl DBI
C.    The Essential Guide to Perl Regular Expressions
D.    The Essential Guide to Perl Data Munging

Colophon

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com